Monday, August 15, 2011

Fright Night Remake Review (Minor Spoilers)

Another damn remake!

THE MOVIE: CRITIC'S TAKE

I received free screening passes to see this in 3D before it comes out. I wasn't excited because I'm a fan of the original. It's one of my favs. Seeing the trailer didn't make me change my mind either but I thought I'll give it a try. After all, free stuff isn't easy to come by. I sat in the theater looking to be disappointed. I learned to give movies that I think will be bad a chance after seeing this. It's not great but it's far from bad. A funny surprisingly enjoyable film.

STORY

The story starts with a killing spree. A young teen witnesses his family's demise but he gets taken for a ride too. Charlie, played by Anton Yelchin, is a young boy in a small town outside of Las Vegas. He has a horny girlfriend named Amy, played by Imogen Poots, that everyone wants to bone except him. He has an obsessive friend named Ed, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse, who wants him to rejoin his group. That is the vampire killing group that him and his missing friends started. Charlie tells him to bugger off once the search for his friend ends. He is going to wish that he didn't because it turns out that his friend was right. His next door neighbor is a vampire. Not just any vampire but a 400 year old one played by Colin Farrell.

Isn't he sexy

He kills his best friend and turns him into a vampire. He doesn't find this out till later because he was too busy keeping his mom and girlfriend from boning him. He learns that Charlie is aware of his true identity and plays mind games with him. He even allows him to sneak into his house and help one of his victims. Once he does he accidently kills her by making her meet the sun! This freaks him out so much that he has no choice but get help from the famous Peter Vincent, played by David Tennant.

That's not what he really looks like
He knows all and has every weapon imaginable except one... BALLS! Charlie goes through all hell trying to protect his family while Peter just runs and hides. Finally Peter gets the balls to help Charlie and be the man he knows he can be. I would go further but I already gave too much away. I will say that the ending was great and this story was a fun one to watch and I can imagine it being a fun one to write.

See fun
ACTING

The acting here was ok. Colin and Peter were great. Anton I didn't like in the lead and thought he did a so-so job. The mother was funny to watch and Peter's lover was a delight. Everyone else just bored me except Christopher. That guy is a natural and I think should have been the lead. Overall everyone played their part well enough and the chemistry was there for most. It wasn't a bad outting for the actors.

SPECIAL EFFECTS

The 3D is a hit or miss at best. The effects as a whole wasn't all that great. The gore was comical and less WTF. The vampires looked more sickly than deadly and I couldn't get past their faces. I wasn't terrified just overwhelmed by the lack of effort. The original vamps looked more real. They should have went the makeup route instead of CGI. Overall the effects are decent but don't expect anything special.

Except this guy


WRITING AND DIRECTING

The film was written by Marti Nixon and Directed by Craig Gillespie. Marti wrote some interesting dialog and good humor. There is a lot of unpredictable stuff here and that's a good thing. I did feel that the movie dragged on too long and it could have been made shorter. The directing was in your face. He was able to capture the power of the vampire very well and the entire film is caught in a rich light. He did a great job and should be doing more films.

THE END

It's a good film to watch for a date. I wouldn't rush to see it though unless you want to compare movies. It's not a bad a film. I will even go as far as saying "It's a good one!"
I don't think most of you will be disappointed by this. I wasn't and I'm a fan of the original.

Yuck!
OVERALL


STORY - 6 out of 10
ACTING - 6 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS - 5 out of 10
WRITING - 7 out of 10
DIRECTING - 7 out of 10


OVERALL 6 out of 10 (DATE MOVIE)









 

 

No comments: