Friday, February 10, 2012

The Woman in Black Review (Minor Spoilers)

Not very scary at all.
THE MOVIE: CRITIC'S TAKE

They are calling this film the scariest movie of the year. If I had a dime for everytime I heard that I would be able to afford a high end hooker. I wouldn't want to use one though because I don't want crabs but you get the idea. I walked in the theater hoping that this promise will turn out true. Like all fake advertising it wasn't. To be disappointed would be putting it lightly. I've seen a good share of horror films featuring ghosts and this doesn't even reach the top 20. Don't waste your time!

STORY

The story takes place in the late 1880s. Arthur, played by Daniel Radcliffe, is a father who is full with grief. He lost his wife during child birth and is now having a hard time dealing with life and work, even after his son is old enough to understand his pain. His boss gives him one more chance to prove himself before he gets cut loose. He has to go to a home located in Nine Lives Causeway that is believed to be haunted. The town folk doesn't tell him any of this because they are either stupid or just plain dickheads.

Dickheads


They give him all kinds of run arounds to keep him from doing his job. Like any desperate man would, he finds a way to the house and experiences some crazy things. He keeps seeing a woman in black and she, at first, is playing mind games with him.  He returns back to the villiage and witnesses a young girl die in front of him. The town folk blame him but won't tell him why. He goes to the house to stay the night and it's there that The Woman in  Black shows her ass. It's not just mind tricks this time but lots of ghost fun. Before she can scare him shitless his friend pops up and stops the madness.

What's the ax going to do?


His friend refuses to believe it but his wife is no fool. She informs him about the curse and that whomever sees the woman a child dies. He fears that his son is next on her list and thinks of a way to end her streak. He thinks reuniting her with her dead son will do the trick. Do you think he is right? She did say that she will never forgive!

What did I do to deserve this?


ACTING

The acting here was decent at best. Daniel did pull off a different side of him that I think will drive him to a better acting career. It was his lack of fear that made me cringe. Not once did I feel that he was truly afraid. He seemed to wooden when he was suppose to stain his pants. The town folk did a better job presenting fear than he did. The film does maintain a good amount of chemistry with its actors and actresses. It's a decent acted movie that will at least keep you interested.

Like her!



SPECIAL EFFECTS

For a film like this I would expect better effects. The Woman in Black was not scary looking at all. She reminded me more of a sickly woman than anything else. Her dead son seemed more frightening than her. I did like the scenery and fog though. It captured the feeling of a haunted place and human dread. It's just a shame at most of the scares couldn't deliver.

Spooky


WRITING AND DIRECTING

The film was written by Jane Goldman and directed by James Watkins. Jane put together a story that had all the right ingredients except heart. I was bored for most of the film and the only thing that made me jump was the loud noises, the music, and the birds flying out of no where. The characters are uninteresting and I couldn't care about any of them. She should have gave the children more character development instead of killing them off. It could have added more emotion into the picture and gave us someone to care to about.

My son!

The directing was gritty and intense. Loved the dark scenery and the tension. The director filmed the movie the best way he could. I don't want to say that he is the reason that this movie didn't live up to the hype because he was able to capture a horror film. I think everyone else let him down.

THE END

Don't waste your money. The film is boring and not very scary. You're better off waiting for video. Save your money for something better. I know I will.

OVERALL


STORY 5 out of 10
ACTING 5 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS 6 out of 10
WRITING 5 out of 10
DIRECTING 6 out of 10


OVERALL 5 out of 10 (Wait for Video)

No comments: