Thursday, October 6, 2011

Immortals Review (Minor Spoilers)

Isn't this 300?

THE MOVIE: CRITIC'S TAKE

Remember the movie The Cell? Probably so if you're a fan of great visuals. Did you see 300? Of course you did because it's one of the most violent and visual stunning movies of all time. Combine the two and you get Immortals. This film is directed by Tarsem Singh, the man that will soon direct the Snow White adaption. Walking into this screening I had high hopes for this film. I didn't expect good acting but I did expect a great visual masterpiece. Tarsem did not disappoint.

STORY

The story begins with a tale about how there was a war between the gods. The losers, which were the titans, was trapped and hidden forever unless someone powerful can find and free them. Hyperion, played by Mickey Rourke, wants to free the titans so they can wreck havoc on the gods. He blames them for the death of his family. Theseus, played by Henry Cavill, is a peasant chosen by the gods to stop Hyperion from unleashing the titans. A seer, played by Frieda Pinto, is being hunted by Hyperion but finds refuge with Theseus and his men.

Among other things

This leads to a battle of wits between the two enemies. An adventure of cool effects and beautiful women emerge. A hero is born while others die with grace. I won't give away anything major because this film won't be released till Nov 11, 2011 but I can say that the story flows nicely. No filler stuff, just action with a spice of romance. It's a guy film that some women may enjoy.

ACTING

The downfall of this movie. I couldn't buy none of the actors playing their roles in this movie. I personally think everyone was miscast except for Mickey Rourke. He was the best one in this movie and his ruthlessness was great to watch. All Freida brought to the table was her good looks and her tight ass (which I'm wondering if it was really her's). This movie would have been better with better actors but I doubt most of you will care about this. This film wasn't made to win Oscars.

It was made to look badass

SPECIAL EFFECTS

The effects will leave you breathless. I loved the scenery in this film. Everything just pops. The style is unique and blows 300 out of the water. The fight scenes are the best I've seen in a long time. This may go down as one of the best action movies ever. Once you see the film you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Who knew that gods could kick ass like that?

I'm scared

WRITING AND DIRECTING

The writing here was so-so. The story flowed well and the dialog seemed reasonable but the real masterpiece is Tarsem. Once again he blows me away with his artistic design and creativity. I couldn't help but feel that he stole some scenes from 300 but I can forgive him. He did it better than that other director could ever do. I wish him the best for the future.



THE END

It's a must see! Once the movie is released in theaters go see it. You won't be disappointed. I will warn against the 3D version however. It adds nothing to the story. Stick with 2D and you will enjoy it just the same.

STORY 6 out of 10
ACTING 4 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS 9 out of 10
WRITING 7 out of 10
DIRECTING 9 out of 10

OVERALL 7 out of 10 (MUST SEE)



 

No comments: