Thursday, October 20, 2011

Red State Review (Minor Spoilers)

Fear god!
THE MOVIE: CRITIC'S TAKE

I came across this film because of Kevin Smith. Most of you know him as the director of Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, Chasing Amy, Clerks 1 and 2, Dogma, and that forgettable movie Jersey Girl. When I read up on this film a few years back I was shocked to see that this film is a thriller and not a comedy. I didn't think Kevin Smith could write something like this. Indeed I was surprised by how good this movie turned out to be. I still prefer his slap stick comedies above all but now I know Kevin has what it takes to keep me at the edge of my seat, hoping everything turns out ok. We all know it never does.

STORY

Three teenage boys are looking for a little fun one night after school. Jared, played by Kyle Gallner , talks two of his friends into meeting up with a woman he met online for a little 4-some. Travis, played by Michael Angarano, doesn't want to do it. He thinks it's a scam and the girl is probably someone who doesn't want to play nice. After being peer pressured he gets his parents' car and heads to their date. They are so excited they don't see a parked car and hits it from the side. Lucky for them the car belongs to the town sheriff who was having a little fun of his own.

O shit!

They still manage to make it to the woman's home but they soon realize something isn't right. She drugs them while they are in their underwear and has them carried away. She is a member of a church that hates all sinners. This includes homosexuals, people who are sexual active before marriage, and my personal favorite... getting it in the butt. After a great sermon by the preacher, played by Michael Parks, he kills a man that is being accused of loving the cock. The church goers shoots the man in front of Jared and sends the body in the basement with Jared's other friends. They are planning on killing the three teenagers because they believe that they are perverts, which is true, but is interrupted when one of the teens is caught escaping. He kills one of the church people before he gets shot in the head. Lucky for him a cop was near by and heard the noise. Too bad none of that matter.

bitches with guns
They end up killing the cop and tells the sheriff if he sends reinforcements that they will let out all his dirty secrets. Instead he calls in a terrorist squad, headed by John Goodman, to handle the situation. That's when all hell breaks loose and this movie turns into the wild west. There's a lot of action going on and twists and turns that left me in awe. I don't want to give anymore away but I will say this story will not disappoint. You will be at the edge of your seat the whole time.

Run boy Run



ACTING

The acting in this movie is special. Everyone brought something to the table that made this film unique. Michael Parks was the best. He played his role extremely well and made me into a believer. The chemistry is there with everyone and not once did I feel that someone was miscast. It's a great outing by great actors.

Beautiful


SPECIAL EFFECTS

This movie didn't use a lot of SFX. You won't see any explosions here but a lot of blood and wild shooting. I loved how it was presented and shot. You get to see both sides of the spectrum. A job well done in this department.

They look good together!
WRITING AND DIRECTING

The film was written and directed by Kevin Smith. He did a wonderful job in both departments. The pace wasn't too slow and the dialog seemed natural. Kevin didn't hold any punches with his words and delivered one of the best monologues in recent memory. Kevin Smith has out done himself here.

THE END

This is a must see film. I enjoyed it and I think many of you will too. The film isn't that long and it has a unique story to it. This is a different side of Kevin Smith and I have to say I love it! I hope I see more films like this from him in the near future.

OVERALL

STORY - 7 out of 10
ACTING - 8 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS - 7 out of 10
WRITING - 7 out of 10
DIRECTING - 7 out of 10

OVERALL SCORE 7 out of 10 (MUST SEE)




 

 

No comments: