Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Grey Movie Review (Minor Spoilers)

He looks like a badass!
THE MOVIE: CRITIC'S TAKE


When I first saw the trailer I thought this was going to be a sequel to Taken. Then I realized it's just another Liam Neeson, I might be old but I still can kick your ass, type of film. Needless to say I wasn't interested.  Liam and his crew vs a bunch of hungry wolves? LMAO! Whatever. Next! Then I got free tickets and thought awwww what the hell. It couldn't hurt. I missed my first screening of the film but was able to get another crack at it before it opened. It's not the best Liam film but it is entertaining enough to watch in a theater. The trailer doesn't do this story justice.

STORY

I'm not going to give away a lot of spoilers so I'll keep this one short. Liam Neeson's character, Ottway, is hired as a sharpshooter to keep predators away from the refinery workers. He has a tragic past that almost brought him to commit suicide. As he and his workers board a plane home they fall onto some turbulence that turned into a nightmare. Within minutes they land smack in the middle of the coldest weather imaginable, with little food and water. Ottway quickly tries to take charge of the situation but some of his fellow crew men are asking "Who the hell put you in charge?"

I'm Liam fucking Neeson thats who!

After some gritty talk about their personal lives and wether or not god exists things start to get worse. Wolves notice that they are there and the wolves think that they are intruding on their terriortory. This turns out to be the biggest fight of their lives. Not just with the wolves but with the weather, hunger, and themselves. Will anyone survive this mayhem? Only watching the film will give you the answer.

Teach me how to kill super wolves please!!!


ACTING

The acting here wasn't bad at all. There is chemistry with most of the cast that made this film enjoyable. Liam Neeson shows both his sensative side and his take no names attitude. The transition between the two was believable for a film like this. You could feel the tension between them when things started to get real bad. The cast did a better job than what most people would expect. You can feel for some of these characters throughout the film. The actors knocked it out the park for the most part.


I'm never taking a plane again.

SPECIAL EFFECTS

The special effects were decent for this film. The plane crash was surprisingly intense and left me cringing a little. The only complaint I have are the Twilight werewolves. Those wolves were too big to be believable. With the lack of food source in that area how did they grow to be that size? I know you want them to be scary beasts but wolves alone are scary beasts. Just go out in the wild and find one. Let's see if you don't pee your pants if it looks at you and licks it's lips.


What the fuck is that wolf on steriods?

WRITING AND DIRECTING

The film was written by Joe Carnahan and Ian Jeffers. They put together a tight story that had you feeling for the characters. I liked that they give some characters a back story that wasn't always full of grace. The dialog was believable and straight forward. The film was directed by Joe as well and he did a fine job. The movie feels cold and distrubing. I liked his wide shots and how the camera didn't flinch when things got nasty. I can see Joe doing more films in the future.

THE END

It's a good film to see in the theaters. You are getting your money's worth. The film is almost two hours long but I think some of you won't be complaining about that. It's a tough guy movie that is enjoyable and fun to watch. The tension alone is nerve recking. Not a lot of films can pull that off.

OVERALL

STORY 7 out of 10
ACTING 7 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS 6 out of 10
WRITING 8 out of 10
DIRECTING 8 out of 10

OVERALL 7 out of 10 (Worth seeing in the theaters)

No comments: