Wednesday, June 13, 2012

ROCK OF AGES Review (Minor Spoilers)


Musical on crack

THE MOVIE: CRITIC'S TAKE

When I first heard about this movie I didn't know too much about it. I knew it was a Broadway musical that won many awards. Rock of Ages is a rock musical that can be enjoyed by many. I am a fan of a few musicals but I can honestly say that this isn't my type of genre. After watching the movie I will have to change my mind. It put a smile on my face all the way through. I never saw the musical but after watching this movie, it makes me want too. If you're a fan of musicals then I suggest you see it this weekend. It's nothing but a good time.

STORY

A young woman named Sherrie, played by Julianne Hough, dreams of being a star. She moves to the Sun Set Strip and works at the Bourbon Room as a waitress. Her new found friend Drew , played by Diego Bonata, gets her the job after her suitcase was stolen. There is some tension going on at the Bourbon Room. The owner Dennis , played by Alec Baldwin, and his sidekick Lonny, played by Russell Brand, fears that the night club may close. The mayor's wife, played by Catherine - Zeta Jones, wants to clean up the strip and close down the Bourbon. Together they manage to get Stacee Jaxx, played by Tom Cruise, to play there. He just split from his band and is looking to show the world how good he is. Despite this the mayor's wife still wants to close the room. Tensions spill over to everyone's life and looks like Sherrie's dream may not come to pass. Can the club owner keep his club open or will the mayor's wife flush them down the toilet? You will need to go to the movies and get your rock on to find out.

ACTING

Just phenomenal! Tom Cruise rocked this role. He was the best one in the film. He had chemistry with everyone he touched and should get an Oscar nod for his performance. Alec Baldwin did wonders with his role as well. He and Russell Brand was a delight to see together and made me believe that they were really pals. Catherine was more annoying than useful and her singing was laughable. Mary J Blidge surprisingly pulled a great performance that left the crowd in awe. Overall, the performances were solid and it looked like they were having a great time.


I'm the fucking man baby!
SPECIAL EFFECTS

The effects were great. It looked like I was watching a real life concert. The pyro and the lighting made them look like real rock stars. I loved the 80s feel and how Tom acted like a pimped out Axl Rose. They made this film into one big spectacle.

Rock on!


WRITING AND DIRECTING

This movie is written by too many writers to care for and directed by Adam Shankman. The writers made the characters bigger than life and the star wannabes naive idiots. The story went on too long but I loved the singing and performances. They really fell into their roles and left themselves at home. They did throw too many songs in though which made the film stretch on too long. Adam did a wonderful job directing. This film looks like one big rock concert full of joy and despair. If this film was shorter it would be a masterpiece.

THE END

This movie is fun. It has some of the best rock songs from the 80s, featuring some cool actors. I will say that this film lasts too long and should have been made shorter. Other than that, this film should bring a smile to your face. It's a rocking good time and one of Tom Cruise's best performances. Enjoy!

OVERALL

STORY 7 out of 10
ACTING 9 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS 8 out of 10
WRITING 7 out of 10
DIRECTING 8 out of 10

OVERALL 8 out of 10 (MUST SEE)





No comments: