Friday, January 14, 2011

True Grit (Remake) Review


Remake

THE MOVIE: CRITIC TAKE

I'm not a huge fan of western movies but when I saw the trailer for True Grit I told myself that it was a must see. Jeff Bridges looked phenomenal in this picture. When I saw Matt Damon I became even more interested. When I saw Hailee Steinfeld hold her own against these two amazing actors I knew that this movie was going to be a gem. I'm glad they didn't let me down and the audience as well. This is truly a must see movie.


Damn humans I'm cold as ice!
 STORY

The movie begins with a voice over by Mattie, played by Hailee. It explains her intentions and why she wants Tom Chaney, played by Josh Brolin, dead. She goes to her town's authority immediately looking for someone who can help her bring her father's killer to justice. She doesn't have a lot of money so she has no choice but to trade some of her favorite belongings. Here is where we get the first sense of how talented Hailee is as an actress.

I will shoot your balls off!

After asking a few questions from weary people she narrowed down her perfect assailant named Rooster Cogburn, played by Jeff Bridges. Rooster is an old fat man with a mean strike. He doesn't like much company and tells Mattie to leave him alone a few times. She stays persistent and finally breaks him down with the talk of money. Jeff refuses to take her because of her age and he thinks she will only get in the way. He leaves her alone in town but she catches up to him before he can make his full escape. He isn't alone though. She is shocked to find out that his partner in crime is a Texas Marshall named Laboeuf, played by Matt Damon.

Laboeuf is also on the trail of Chaney because he killed a politician in his home state. Her and Laboeuf do not get along very well. He doesn't take a liking to her smart mouth and gives her what she's been lacking most of her life... a good spanking.
I'm too young for S&M!

The tension is proven to be too much for Labouef and wanders off leaving Rooster and Mattie alone to get in a whole hep of trouble. Fingers get cut off, shots are fired, bodies pile up, Labouef returns and almost loses his tongue, and some drunken humor all before Hailee can finally get her hands on the man that killed her father. Too bad it was Chaney who put his hands on her. I won't give away any spoilers because the last 20 mins was breathtaking but I can say that justice was served in all ends. Even if it cost them a little.

This won't end well!


ACTING

What can I say about the acting other than perfect! The chemistry was there throughout the film. The actors seemed to feed off one another like parasites. Everyone played their characters extremely well and I think most of the main cast deserves an Oscar nod. Jeff bridges and Hailee especially. Their chemistry lit up the screen.

We work well together!


SPECIAL EFFECTS

The guns, blood, and mild gore seemed real enough. This movie didn't use much special effects at all. It's a hardcore Western film. Who needs computerization in a film like this?

WRITING AND DIRECTING


The film was written and directed by The Coen Brothers. The writing and directing is the best I've seen in a long time. The dialog is natural for that era and the story progresses at an even pace. The lighting is beautiful and the darkness is just as stunning. They were able to capture that era and bring it to life. I think this years best picture has been announced.

Brothers do it best!


THE END

This movie is one of the best this year. It keeps you entertained and on the edge of your seat. I don't have anything real negative to say here which says a lot. This has to be one of their best films and the bar for westerns has been set for this day and age. If you haven't seen it yet please do. You won't be disappointed! True Grit

Damn good film!




STORY 9 out of 10
ACTING 9 out of 10
SPECIAL EFFECTS 7 out of 10
WRITING 8 out of 10
DIRECTING 8 out of 10

OVERALL 8 (MUST SEE)


 


 


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i will defenitley have to see this since I am a john wayne fan to see if this rates one of his titles as a remake cause I don't thimk it can come close and if the ratings hold justice